Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University (BAOU) has officially become the member of AAOU on 15 April 2021. Here are some information regarding BAOU:
- Establishment: 13th April 1994
- Only State Open University of Gujarat
- Present Vice Chancellor: Prof. Ami Upadhyay (2019 –)
- Total Number of Study Centres: 254+ across Gujarat
- Total Number of Cumulative Registrations: around 8,00,000 + Students
- Total Number of Programmes: 70+ ranging from Certificate, Diploma, Under Graduate, Post Graduate, Post Graduate Diploma and Ph.D.
Milestones Achieved in Years 2019-2021
The leadership of Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay, has resulted in newer
horizons for Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University. Here is a glimpse of milestones achieved in the years 2019-2021.
- Flexi entry and Flexi exit into programmes as per National Education Policy – 2020
- Admission in courses not only in program as per National Education Policy – 2020
- Credit Transfer – CBCS in it true spirit as per National Education Policy – 2020
- Launched 9 New programmes in the bouquet of 70+ programmes in last two years (B.Sc. Information Technology Honours, B.A. in Social Work, Master of Commerce, M.A. in Mass Communication and Journalism, M.Sc. in Information Technology, M.Sc. in Cyber Security, Masters in Library Science, PG Diploma in Computer Applications, M.A. in Social Work)
- Certificate and Diplomas with the Indian and Regional rooted subjects like Indian Poetics, Yog and Naturopathy, Spoken Sanskrit, Panchayati Raj in Gujarat, as per NEP 2020
- ‘Eklavya’ – Student Support Portal: University has a one-stop destination for students to access and download their information.
- University adopted 03 villages namely Chharodi, Dantali, and Jaspur and contributed with lot many extension activities for awareness and social welfare
- Free-of-Cost Education – Covid-19: Noble social initiatives; such as refunding the fees of students who lost their lives to Covid, providing financial support of Rs. 11,000 to the family of such a student, and providing free-of-cost education to Covid-orpaned persons as well as women who lost their breadwinner father/husband/son to Covid-19
- Free-of-Cost Education to war-widows and their children
- Hosted All India Vice Chancellors’ Meet organized by Association of Indian Universities – BAOU became the first open University to host it – Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modiji inaugurated and addressed the Meet
- Study centre dashboard prepared by university staff
- HR Management System prepared by the university staff
- Leave Management System introduced by university with the help of in-house staff
- Subject Experts’ Video Lectures to be recorded at “Chaitanya Studio” functioning from morning 8:30 to evening 7:30 for educational content development.
- More than 3500 academic video recordings in last two years, carried out at in-house state-of-the-art Chaitanya Studio
- Special Research Grants to women for encouraging research activities under Gargi – Centre for the Holistic Development of Women
- Special Research Grants to SC-ST candidates for encouraging research activities under SC/ST Research Cell
- Reward of Rs. 5000/- to faculties for publishing research papers in UGC Care or SCOPUS listed journals
- Sponsored Membership of academic institutions/organizational to faculties
- Extra mile efforts for transgenders and their higher education
University’s Major Events at Glance (2019-2021)
Establishment of ‘Atri’ Special Learner Support Centre
‘Gurukul’ Model Learner Support Centre
1st December 2019
Under the leadership of Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay, the university has established ‘Atri’ – Special Learner Support Centre. This centre offers higher education, short term professional courses to citizens of Gujarat from underprivileged sections of the society such as transgender persons, HIV Positive persons, jail inmates, sex-workers, specially abled persons and persons with special needs.
‘Gurukul’ – Model Learner Support Centre at the university serves as a model for university’s more than 250 study centres across Gujarat. It is an initiative for amalgamation for Professors and students, not a frequent in Distance mode; it helps students in their subject related counseling.
Establishment of “Dronacharya – Centre for Innovation, Startup and Entrepreneurship”
4th January 2021
Under leadership of Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhay this centre is established at university campus with regards to the Government of Gujarat’s Student Startup and Innovation Policy (SSIP). The University shall receive a grant of Rs. 1 Crore each for two years, i.e. 2 crores for students under the SSIP of the State Government. Shri Bhupendrasinh Chudasamaji, Hon’ble Cabinet Minister for Education presided over the inaugural ceremony.
Establishment of “Gargi – Centre for the Holistic Development of Women”
13th January 2021
Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay’s seed of thought for positively contributing for the welfare of women, resulted in the establishment of ‘Gargi – Centre for the Holistic Development of Women’ at the University. The centre was inaugurated by Hon’ble Minister of State, Education, Women and Child Welfare, Gujarat, Smt. Vibhavariben Dave; Hon’ble Chief Guest, Prabhari, Mahila Morcha and Chief Social Worker, Smt. Anjali Rupaniji. This centre aims at women’s holistic development focusing on women’s academics, employment, extension and excellence in all the areas.
All India Round Table Conference of Women Vice-Chancellors
24th March 2021
This conference was held in the chairpersonship of Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay. Dr. (Mrs.) Pankaj Mittal, Secretary General, Association of Indian Universities graced the event as a Chief Guest.
This event witnessed presence of Women Vice Chancellors from more than 20 States of India like, New Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Chattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, etc. The conglomeration of these women vice-chancellors discussed on the need of women change makers, policy makers, decision makers, and leaders as essential to the creation of empowered societies.
6th Annual E-Convocation
3rd April 2021
Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University under the directions and guidance of Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay organized 6th Annual Convocation through Virtual Digital medium. In the ceremony total 12323 Degree Certificates, 28 Gold Medals, and 31 Silver Medals were awarded.
Shri Vijaybhai Rupaniji expressed with pride, “Being the only state OpenUniversity of Gujarat, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University has opened the doors of education, not only for young students and professionals but also for the adults interested in pursuing knowledge and for the masses residing in the interior belts of Gujarat by establishing regional centres.”
Eminent dignitaries who graced the event virtually were, Hon’ble Governershri of Gujarat State and Chancellorshri, Shri Acharya Devvratji; Hon’ble Chief Minister, Shri Vijaybhai Rupaniji; Hon’ble Education Minister, Shri Bhupendrasinh Chudasamaji; Hon’ble Minister of State, Education, Smt. Vibhavariben Daveji; Hon’ble Chairman, Gujarat Sahitya Academy, Padma Shri Vishnu Pandyaji.
Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modiji inaugurated the 95th National Vice Chancellors Meet hosted by Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University
14th and 15th April 2021
The two day colossal academic event was inaugurated by Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modiji, in his presidential address, he congratulated Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University’s Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyayji and Association of Indian Universities, for organizing the 95th National Vice Chancellors Meet. Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modiji appreciated the university’s initiative to establish “Dr. Babsaheb Ambedkar Samrasta Chair”.
Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University, the only State Open University of Gujarat, became the first State Open University across India to host Association of Indian Universities 95th National Vice Chancellors Meet on the theme of “Implementing National Educational Policy-2020 to Transform Higher Education in India”.
Eminent dignitaries who graced the National Vice Chancellors Meet on the virtual platform of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University with their valuable addresses are:
- Hon’ble Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modiji
- Hon’ble Governer of Gujarat, Shri Acharya Devvratji
- Hon’ble Chief Minister of Gujarat, Shri Vijaybhai Rupaniji
- Hon’ble Union Minister of Education, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyalji ‘Nishank’
- Hon’ble Minister of Education, Gujarat, Shri Bhupendrasinh Chudasamaji
- President, Association of Indian Universities, Prof. Tej Partapji
- Chairman, University Grants Commission, Prof. D. P. Singhji
- Secretary General, Association of Indian Universities, Dr. (Mrs.) Pankaj Mittalji
- Representations of officials from UGC, AICTE, MoE, NITI Aayog, ICAR, South Asia World Bank; Vice-Chancellors from the universities across India, and other academic nominations
Seven Women of Mettle – a Women’s Heptastich Lecture Series
(Nari Saptak Shreni)
10th May 2020 to 16th May 2020
Hon’ble Vice Chancellor of the University, Prof. Dr. Ami Upadhyay’s brain-child, a “Women’s Heptastich Lecture Series” was organized with an aim to understand the potential of women, to preserve her dignity, and to establish that each woman’s story of ‘struggle to successes’ must be respected.
This series was inaugurated by Hon’ble Chief Minister of Gujarat, Shri Vijaybhai Rupani; Hon’ble Education Minister, Shri Bhupendrasinh Chudasama; Hon’ble Minister of State for Education, Women and Welfare, Smt. Vibhavariben Dave; Hon’ble Principal Secretary, Higher and Technical Education, IAS. Smt. Anju Sharma; who motivated women to ‘carve their own identity’.
Eminent Guests invited for the talk in the series:
- Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani, Hon’ble Union Minister of Women and Child Development
- Smt. Dipika Chikhliaji, Political leader and Actress, (Devi Sita of Indian Television series Ramayana, 1987)
- Padma Shri and Padma Bhushan Smt. Ela Ramesh Bhatt, Founder of SEWA (Self-Employed Women’s Association of India)
- Padma Shri Smt. Nivedita Bhideji, Vice-Chairperson of Vivekananda Centre, Kanyakumari and more
5th E-Convocation of Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University
25th June 2020
Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University, Ahmedabad, the only State Open University of Gujarat organized its first ever E-convocation -“5th Annual e-Convocation 2020”. Hon’ble Governershri, Gujarat State, Shri Acharya Devvratji conferred 30 Gold Medals, 29 Silver Medals and 13,835 Degrees to the students of University.
Hon’ble Chief Minister, Shri Vijay Rupani; conveyed his message virtually; congratulated the University for digital E-convocation which brought together each student from across Gujarat on one platform.
Guests of Honour and eminent guests who graced the event were Hon’ble Education Minister, Shri Bhupendrasinh Chudasamaji, Hon’ble Minister of Primary and Higher Education, Smt. Vibhavariben Daveji, Hon’ble Principal Secretary, Smt. Anju Sharma, IAS, and Secretary General of Association of Indian Universities, Dr. (Mrs.) Pankaj Mittalji.
‘Tej Trusha’ Talent Hunt
With the inspiration and vision of Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University became the first Open University across India to launch a cultural, literary, and sports festival in the Open Distance Learning system. BAOU has pioneered in introducing a talent hunt programme for learners who are mostly geographically dispersed, there is certain anonymity, vast age gap, and their economical and societal backgrounds also differ.
Hon’ble Chief Minister of Gujarat, Shri Vijaybhai Rupaniji; Cabinet Minister, Education Department, Shri Bhupendra Chudasamaji; Principal Secretary (Higher & Technical Education) Smt. Anju Sharmaji; graced University with their eminent presence and inaugurated ‘Tej-Trusha Season – II’ Talent Hunt competition.
The university conducted two consecutive seasons of Tej Trusha. An extravaganza of 36 literary and cultural competitions at University campus; witnessed an overwhelming participation of more than 1000 students in the age-group of 18-70.
Promotion and Implementation of National Education Policy 2020
The National Education Policy released under the Prime Ministership of Shri Narendra Modiji is a manifesto for creating a Naya Bharat. The eponymic University, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University under the leadership of Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay has promoted and implemented Policy with certain innovative, positive and progressive endeavours in the field of Open and Distance Higher education:
- Hosting National Vice Chancellors’ Meet with the theme of “Implementing National Educational Policy-2020 to Transform Higher Education in India” inaugurated by Honourable Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modiji
- Constitution of National Education Policy Task Force at the University
- Constitution of National Education Policy Advisory Committee
- 10+ National level conferences/webinars on aspects of National Education Policy – 2020
- On Demand Exam
- Admissions throughout the year
- Credit Transfer – Academic Bank of Credit
- Lateral Entry in educational Programmes
- Flexible Exit earning Certificate / Diploma / Advanced Diploma / Degree
- Introduction of Open Educational Resources
- Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) with larger buckets
- Introduction of Indigenous and Need-Based Certificate, Diploma and Degree Programmes
- Flexibility in the choice of language in exams, i.e. Gujarati, Hindi, English, Sanskrit for larger benefit of students
- Adoption of Open Educational Resource policy in order to reach to keen learners at global level
- New Courses Launched as per National Education Policy – 2020: (1) Indian Poetics (2) Spoken Sanskrit (3) Post Graduate Diploma in Cyber Security and Cyber Law (4) Diploma in Health and Sanitary Inspector (05) Diploma in Food and Nutrition (06) Certificate and Diploma in Performing Arts (07) MA in Journalism and Mass Communication (08) Yog and Naturopathy
Awards and Achievements of BAOU
- “Pride of the Nation Excellence Award – 2021”: Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay has been conferred with “Pride of the Nation Excellence Award – 2021” for achievements in Academics and Administration from Shri Om Birlaji, Hon’ble Speaker of Lok Sabha; Shri Manoj Sinhaji, Lieutenant Governor of Jammu and Kashmir; Government of India; Shri B.P. Singhji, Eminent author and former Governor, Sikkim; and Shri Manoj Tiwariji, Hon’ble Member of the Parliament.
- “The Best Vice Chancellor Award 2020”: Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay has been conferred with Golden Aim Award (National) as “The Best Vice Chancellor” in Open and Distance Learning.
- “NGS Vibrant Leadership Awards 2020”: Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay has been conferred with “NGS Vibrant Leadership Awards 2020” presented by Hon’ble Home Minister of State, Shri Pradipsinh Jadeja for Excellence in Innovative Practices in Higher Education.
- “Shri Maanbhai Bhatt Pratishthit Nagrik Samman 2020”: Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay was conferred with Shri Maanbhai Bhatt Pratishthit Nagrik Samman 2020 (Shri Maanbhai Bhatt Honour of a Dignified Citizen) by Shri Morari Bapu at one of the pioneering NGOs in Gujarat Shishuvihar, Bhavnagar.
- “Award of Honour”: Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay has been conferred with an “Award of Honour” for achievement as Open and Distance Learning Administrator by Indian Distance Education Association (IDEA).
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University, Ahmedabad received “Most Innovative Government University” for the ICT based innovations in Open and Distance Learning Education at National Education Awards – 2019 organized by ABP News Network.
- “Emerging Startup Incubator of the Year – 2020”: In the leadership of Hon’ble Vice Chancellor, Prof. Ami Upadhyay; Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University received the prestigious “Emerging Startup Incubator of the Year” Award from Vyapaar Jagat Awards for its culture of Startup and Innovation.
- “Aatmanirbhar Bharat” –Towards a New Era: Tv9 felicitated Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University for its outstanding contribution towards Aatmanirbhar Bharat –Towards a New Era.
In the Years 2019-2021 Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Open University Conducted
- 2 International Conferences
- 1 One-week Webinar Series on National Education Policy 2020
- 10+ National Conferences/Webinars on aspects of National Education Policy 2020
- 25+ National Conferences/Webinars
- 20+ Trainings and Workshops
- 23+ MoUs with International/National/Regional Institutes and Organizations